[PD] Is open source better?

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 07:33:24 CET 2014

On 10/02/14 11:53, Pall Thayer wrote:

> is the "open sourceness" of PD. libpd presents a very good argument and
> I'll be highlighting a project I was involved with that produced an IOS app
> that used libpd as the audio engine. Is there anything else I should be
> considering besides the obvious points of open source being open source.
> Concrete examples of PD's open sourceness trumping proprietary technologies?

Well before libpd there was a port to Sony's gaming platform, and the audio
engine was used for at least a game or two. Mark Danks of GEM fame ended up with
a job at sony, the port was apparently available to sony partners. It was pd,
but the port was not open source, so no-one outside got any access to it.

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-11/056300.html

Don't quite know where that fits as an example of the advantages of open source
code, and since it became closed in the process there wasn't much trumping going
on and hasn't been heard of since.

Simon