[PD] Receiving a compressed audio stream with PD.

Rafael Vega email.rafa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 17:51:21 CET 2014

Hi list :)

I'm building a patch where I need to use 50 audio files. Each one is about
12:50 minutes, I encoded them as 16 bit, 44,1KHz, mono and in total they
are taking about 3.3GB. I would like to distribute my patch packaged as a
QT application using libpd and the total file size of the application
bundle would not be practical for this.

I guess this could also be encoded as a single 50 channel file.

An option I'm considering is to setup a streaming or file server where the
audio files would be available and the PD patch would start downloading the
file or files, buffer and start playing when sufficient samples are
available. A disk buffer for subsequent plays would be great.

So my questions are:

Are the components to consume a stream, buffer it, decompress it and get a
signal outlet available anywhere as externals or abstractions or whatever?

What would be the compressed audio format for something like this?

Maybe someone can suggest a different, easier approach?

Thanks! :)

--
Rafael Vega
email.rafa at gmail.com