[PD] Is "Audio Settings > Use Multiple Devices" available on Mac OSX?

Santiago J. Barro Torres santiagobarro at santiagobarro.com
Sun Feb 16 21:16:19 CET 2014

Hi Miller and Daniel,

Thanks for your answers. But I am not sure if we are talking about the same
thing.

What is the relationship with the i.e. selected "input device" and the
object [adc~]? I guess that there is a mapping between the "outside world"
(either a physical sound card or a sound server) and Pure Data.

Let's put a simple example with a single input device as single sound card.
Let's think that this sound card has lots of channels (i.e. 64 input/output
channels). Is it (somehow) possible to have two [adc~] objects (let's name
them [adc0~] and [adc1~] for sake of simplicity)? And say, that i.e. [adc0~]
corresponds to sound-card0-channels-0-and-1 and [adc1~] to
sound-card0-channels-2-3? (channels starting on 0).

Sorry if this is a very simple question, but most Pure Data patches I have
seen deal just with single input / output and can't figure out how can I
work with more entities. And in order to make this question clear, we can
assume we only work with one sound card with lots of channels. And all
this, under Mac OSX.

Thanks!

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Daniel Nigrin <dan at defectiverecords.com>wrote:

> For OS X, use "Aggregate Devices."
>
> Go to Audio MIDI Setup, click the little "+" in the lower left corner, and
> select Create Aggregate Device.  This will allow you to group your various
> input and output devices, and have them presented to whatever software as a
> "single" device.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Dan
> --
> Dan Nigrin / Defective Records / http://defectiverecords.com
> CycliC, M185 & Klee Sequencers / MC-4 & MC-202 Hack / Audio Plugin Player
> / General MIDI Player / Major Malfunction
> Jack OS X / http://jackosx.com
>
> From: "Santiago J. Barro Torres" <santiagobarro at santiagobarro.com>
> Date: Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:57 PM
> To: <pd-list at iem.at>
> Subject: [PD] Is "Audio Settings > Use Multiple Devices" available on Mac
> OSX?
>

> Hello everybody,
>

> My name is Santiago, and I am an embedded software engineer. I have been
> playing around Pure Data for some time, and now I would like to further
> develop my skills on Music Design // Music Programming.
>
> I am working with three versions of pd: Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
> Currently, I am having a look at how to use several [adc~] and [dac~]
> (several input/output devices). In particularly I am doing some experiments
> using several external USB/FireWire sound cards.
>
> So my question is if somebody knows if this feature (using multiple
> devices) is available on Mac OSX. I have been configuring it on a Windows
> machine (under Media > Audio Settings > Use Multiple Devices), where I can
> select i.e. three input devices and two output devices. This button (Use
> Multiple Devices) doesn't seem to appear in the Mac OSX version of Pure
> Data, despite of several input/output devices being available!
>
> I have found some old threads dealing with this topic, but it doesn't seem
> to be a clear answer. Why is this option available in Windows and not in
> Mac OSX?
>
> I have done some research by myself and get this thing working, but
> without luck. If somebody here comes up with a good answer, I will be very
> grateful. So I thank you all for your time.
>
> Software Versions: I am using an "old" Intel Mac OS X 10.6.8 32-bit, and
> tried with pd vanilla (0.45.4, last version) and pd-extended (0.43.4, last
> version).

*Santiago J. Barro-Torres (Freiberufler)*
Embedded Software Engineer
Test Automation and Management

Hans-Thoma-Weg 8, Böblingen
Handy: (+49) 16 23 85 6767