[PD] libpd separating gui from core

Rich E reakinator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 05:11:41 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah wait, duh. Of course the graph needs to know positioning, that's how it
> determines execution order or independent blocks of objects right?
>
> On Jan 13, 2014, at 5:14 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does the dsp graph rely on positioning? I thought only via connections.
> I'd imagine the gui wrapper should only worry about positioning and simply
> update those changes when saving.

IMO a separation between GUI and core could/would include position, e.g.
objects have their connections mapped by an index, GUI assigns the index to
the object based on position.  This would allow for some much more
sophisticated GUI's, such as 3d, or even a more human-readable text version
(json has been mentioned).

cheers,
Rich