[PD] smooth random numbers

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 11:29:11 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Pagano, Patrick
<pat at digitalworlds.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Hello
>
> i have asked this is a few different ways and experimented but i am
> wondering, how does one create "smooth random" numbers that flow between
> each number instead of hoping from number to number?

When trying to translate the settings of a 10 band graphic equalizer
to a smooth spectrum I had a similar issue for which I used cubic
interpolation in three steps. The first two steps involves factor 2
'upsampling' each, which renders a 40 point (+interpolation points)
curve smooth enough for interpolation to 1024 points in one last step.
Attached patch cubic_upsampling.pd shows the interpolation steps done
on a sequence of random numbers.

Katja