[PD] libpd separating gui from core

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 20:44:14 CET 2014

Well, then I'm simply out of the loop and mostly-off base. Woops, sorry. I'll go there and see if we can keep it going. Looks like we're talking about both multi-threading and multi-instances which would be a big move towards solving some fundamental problems.

Also, it's not really a discussion any more, I turned it into a rant. :P In any case, I'd rather let my frustration be known and apologize later than sit by and *hope* for updates. In any case, if I can be helpful I'm more than willing to pitch in and get things done.

On Feb 23, 2014, at 2:33 PM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi all - just a short note since this discussion is much too wode-ranging to
> address in full...
>
>>> 2. Would the result of this work be accepted by Miller and become vanilla?
>>
>> As history has shown, the chances are limited. Again, there is probably a good way to do it where you could choose whether to use a single or multithreaded core but the real stakeholders are absent from the discussion.
>>

> I think the main stakeholders are Pd users :)
>
> Anyhow, there's a useful discussion thread about pdlib instancing here:
>
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2013-12/019693.html
>
> and there's a wonderful series of talks underway at IRCAM about the problems
> of real-time media computing in general:
>
> http://repmus.ircam.fr/mutant/rtmseminars
>
> cheers
> Miller

--------