[PD] Fwd: libpd separating gui from core

Ivica Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Feb 24 02:35:20 CET 2014

Not likely. For example, look at the coordinate system for iemgui objects
and you will find out that they are offset arbitrarily by a few pixels (in
other words, their xy coordinates do not reflect their top left corner but
some other arbitrary location). This is particularly apparent when trying
to autopatch things. In pd-l2ork I first started working with ugly
workarounds and soon found that I had to keep adding exceptions (e.g. in
undo/redo actions that pertained to autopatching and similar situations)
all over the place until I decided the best thing is to simply redo the
iemgui implementation the right way by positioning them accurately
according to their xy position.

Now, fast-forward x years where we have a shiny new gui and are facing the
question that pd-l2ork is already trying to address, which is do we keep
backwards compatible yet dubious behavior of the original gui or do we
correct this and then expect everyone to correct their endless library of
GOP abstractions that put iemgui objects on the edge of the gop rectangle
and as a result many of which become invisible because now they technically
do not fit the GOP rectangle any more?