[PD] libpd separating gui from core

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 02:37:07 CET 2014

On 02/23/2014 08:15 PM, Ivica Bukvic wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com
> <mailto:danomatika at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Feb 23, 2014, at 3:29 PM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com
>     <mailto:jancsika at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>

>     Yeah, stuff like that we should be able to solve. I'm not for
>     ditching the Tcl/Tk gui at all. The work you and Ivica have been
>     doing seems to be going a long way to fix this. Great! I just
>     really hope this goes back into vanilla somehow or can be split up
>     into between libpd and a gui implementation, etc. Otherwise, I
>     fear a return to DD.
>

> If I may chime in for a sec (pd-l2ork author here), there is
> absolutely no interest in dropping development of pd-l2ork anytime
> soon. Pd-L2Ork already has thousands of lines of code either altered
> or added and I have no intention of slowing down. Likewise, in part
> because I tried in the past, I have no interest in trying to get
> things merged into the core pd. I will very much welcome someone
> else's efforts to do so but knowing Miller's gargantuan goal of
> keeping backwards compatibility, I simply feel this approach is too
> time consuming for me to promote the rate of development I (and as it
> appears many others on this list) desire.

Additionally, DesireData never had any stable releases as far as I
remember.  matju may have used it for some of his projects, but when I
played around with it there were major chunks of functionality missing,
and easy crashes.

If someone wanted to port over DD's keyboard-only patching feature to
Pd-l2ork, for example, you'd very quickly see the difference between the
two.  Because once it makes it into a release you'd be using the feature
in a piece of stable software.  That's an enormous difference.

-Jonathan