[PD] libpd separating gui from core

Ivica Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Feb 24 06:29:16 CET 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> I consider that a sad thing. At least with Pd-extended, it was largely
> Pd-vanilla + externals.

I don't think it needs to be sad. Yes, pd-extended is pd-vanilla +
externals + most limitations of the vanilla. How does that help you in your
mission to move forward?

> That said, I would love to entertain the thought of co-developing libpd
> but I think that is currently bogged down by the same predicaments that
> pd-extended and any other non-vanilla implementations have to deal with,
> which is whether you keep the backwards compatibility or move forward as
> fast as you can at the expense of the compatibility.
>

> Which is why I bring up the idea that we find some firmer ground in the
> bog and reach a compromise instead of forking galore. If fragmentation is a
> good thing, then there really isn't much of a community, simply a few
> islands rehashing the same things on a roughly a 5 year cycle. I'm sure
> you'll keep PD-L2ork going and it won't go the way of DD, but again there
> should be a way to have our cake and eat it too. I don't see the harm in
> trying.
>
> Also, I'd like to point that, "bogged down" or not, libpd has IMO sparked
> the most life into Pure Data over the last few years by bringing lots of
> new people in who want to patch for phones and apps embedding libpd. Alot
> of those people are Max users ... :D I personally don't like the idea of us
> working on libpd when you take off with Pd-L20rk and we might reach a point
> where we'd want a libpd-L2ork. Would be nice to have both ...

A lot of things would be nice but that is not the reality of the current
situation. I think backwards compatibility is even less relevant to libpd
when it is embedded in ways that are completely transparent to users, but I
guess I digress, so I'll shut up.

> If the reality is as you say, then I'm not really interested in spending
> my time hacking on our little island.

And the only thing I can say at this point is that I respect that and to
thank you for your genuine effort at moving the community forward.