[PD] arduino/comport load hang

Allen, Michael allenm at spu.edu
Wed Feb 26 05:11:02 CET 2014

I've had issues getting an arduino to work right with PD on my Raspberry Pi. Basically PD won't start up right with the arduino plugged in from the command line without some finesse.

I turn the Pi on, start Jack, then start PD-Extended to open a patch. The patch has a load bang to a comport object with the device name and baud rate. This patch has a the CPU load meter set to print, and the value of several pots set to print through the arduino. The first time the patch will freeze:

ccrma at satellite ~ $ pd-extended -nogui -jack -open copy/effectpatch1.pd
verbose(5): Using /usr/lib/pd-extended/startup as startup.
verbose(4): Loading /usr/lib/pd-extended/startup/0.libdir.pd_linux
verbose(3): libdir loader 1.9
verbose(3):     compiled on Oct  4 2012 at 15:46:18
verbose(3):     compiled against Pd version 0.43.3.extended-20121004
verbose(4): Loading /usr/lib/pd-extended/startup/1.list.pd_linux
verbose(4): Loading extra in /usr/lib/pd-extended/startup/extra
verbose(3): libdir_loader: added 'extra' to the global objectclass path
verbose(14): Loaded libdir 'extra' from '/usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/extra'
verbose(4): Loading pdlua in /usr/lib/pd-extended/startup/pdlua
verbose(3): pdlua 0.7.1 (GPL) 2012 Martin Peach, based on
verbose(3): lua 0.6~svn (GPL) 2008 Claude Heiland-Allen <claudiusmaximus at goto10.org<mailto:claudiusmaximus at goto10.org>>
verbose(3): pdlua: compiled for pd-0.43 on Oct  4 2012 15:46:20
verbose(4): Loading tclpd in /usr/lib/pd-extended/startup/tclpd
verbose(3): tclpd loader v0.3.0
verbose(3): tclpd: trying to load /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/tclpd/tclpd.tcl...
verbose(3): tclpd: loaded /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/tclpd/tclpd.tcl
verbose(4): Loading vanilla in /usr/lib/pd-extended/startup/vanilla
verbose(3): libdir_loader: added 'vanilla' to the global objectclass path
verbose(14): Loaded libdir 'vanilla' from '/usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/vanilla'

    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    @ the zexy external  2.2.5 @
    @ (l)  forum::für::umläute @
    @       iem   @  kug       @
    @  compiled:  May 13 2012  @
    @ send me a 'help' message @
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

matchbox: OSC-pattern matching code (c) Matt Wright, CNMAT
verbose(3): libdir_loader: added 'cyclone' to the global objectclass path
verbose(14): Loaded libdir 'cyclone' from '/usr/lib/pd/extra/cyclone'
comport - PD external for unix/windows
LGPL 1998-2006,  Winfried Ritsch and others (see LICENSE.txt)
Institute for Electronic Music - Graz
expr, expr~, fexpr~ version 0.4 under GNU General Public License
get_baud_ratebits: 9600
set_baudrate baudbits: 13

^CPd: signal 2

Until I close it with Control-C. This takes about 60 seconds to close the program. Then I fire it up and the whole thing loads and begins printing the CPU load as I want, but not the pots. At this point I can keep closing and restarting PD and get the same result. Now, if I unplug the arduino and reconnect it, and start PD everything fires right up!

Any ideas why it won't load up from the start? I have tried delaying the comport open for a second, with no luck.