[PD] Bugs in Pd-Extended in Ubuntu LTS

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 09:15:49 CET 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 21:11 +0100, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I get the same error message in the console
> about JACK, regardless of whether I start it before Pd or not. The
> sound works though most of the time.

This error indicates, that you didn't set the necessary permissions for
real-time setup:

JACKerror: Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/55)(1: Operation not
permitted

Don't know, if this guide is still up-to-date, but I usually could make
it work with it:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation#Real-Time_Support

> There is a package in the Ubuntu repos for pd-extended. It's called
> "Pure Data with patches and a large collection of externals" in the
> Ubuntu software Center.

Software Center shows you everything that is currently installed. To
know where you got your package from, do this in a terminal:

$ apt-cache policy pd-extended

If you only see a line like:

  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

and no actual source line, this means you installed the package from a
downloaded deb-archive.

> My Ubuntu is up to date (last update last week-end I believe). Could
> it be that it was fixed in 13.04 but not in the older LTS version ?

Sorry, I was wrong about that, according to Cyrille.

Roman