[PD] Pd as sound editor (issue with "scrolling" a table) ??

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 16:40:04 CET 2014

Dear list,

I am working on a small patch which stores simple events in a table to
trigger sounds later on.
I would like to be able to edit the content of my table easily, which
requires scrolling it, zooming in, and eventually editing the content.

I have found away of scrolling the content, but it is very slow with
relatively big tables (hem, even with a table with 20 000 samples...).
Please see the example attached.

I have 2 questions :
1) Is there a more efficient way of doing this ? Copying only part of the
content is worse (i've tried).
2) Can I prevent the content of the table from spilling over the table to
right of the left ? I get the same behaviour in a GOP, and putting a canvas
next to the table to cover it doesn't work because the table content gets
redrawn on top of it.

This leads me to a more general question about something i've found in the
help :
"5 Wave editing: with proper manipulation of array data, Pd can be fully
functional wave editor, complete with mouse-clickable cut-n-paste,
pitch-shift, time expansion, down/upsampling, and other tools typically
found in commercial wave editors."
This has always sounded very appealing to me, but i wonder how realistic
this statement is... unless i'm ignoring 80 % of what can be done with
tables in Pd.

Cheers,

Pierre.