[PD] Rewriting a unified phasor / metro object for reading tables

Brian Fay ovaltinevortex at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 01:22:11 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:

> Not sure if this is relevant or already common knowledge but newer
> versions of Pd allow you to specify metro and delay tempo & units,
> including in samples. e.g. [metro 500 1 samp].

Does anybody know if sample-accurate [metros] are available in libpd? I'm
making an application that allows for fairly arbitrary divisions of a
tempo. Originally I was going to make clocks out of metros, but I wasn't
aware that you could set a [metro] faster than one bang per ms. If I wanted
a bunch of different rhythms, not just eigths and sixteenths, but triplets
and divisions of fives or sevens or whatever, I would need to make a bunch
of [metro] objects (or maybe one running at the least common multiple of
the various divisions).

In the end, I settled on handling this logic in the Java side of my
application by counting samples and doing some math. I can schedule bangs
at arbitrary divisions of a base amount of time (so I can make
seven-tuplets or fiftythree-uplets or whatever strange rhythm I want to).
In theory my solution should be sample-accurate, and it sounds like it's
working fine.

But is there a straightforward way to do this in pd that I completely
overlooked?