[PD] Data structures and click event

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 02:25:15 CET 2014

On 03/07/2014 06:45 PM, João Pais wrote:

>     On 03/05/2014 05:24 AM, Pierre Massat wrote:
>>     Dear list,
>>
>>     First of all i'd like to say that i'm very impressed by the
>>     potential of data structures in Pd. I've always kind of ignored
>>     this feature and it's a pity because it's really worth diving
>>     into it.
>>     That being said I think that help and example patches are far
>>     from sufficient for beginners, and if it wasn't for Chris
>>     McCormick's s-abstractions I would have been able to really
>>     figure out how to use them (stuff like how to make an entire
>>     polygon draggable, how to use GOP with proper scaling, etc.).
>
>     It's not just the documentation, it's the interface.  Having to
>     walk linked-lists of graphically unlinked objects is bad. Having
>     to use boilerplate to find the head of a glist just to create a
>     scalar is bad.
>
>       I think Pd-l2ork is getting close to a release with my new data
>     structure stuff in it.  It's a first step at addressing some of
>     these issues.
>

> and any prospects of that stuff making it into vanilla or pd-ext,

No.  It requires a toolkit that has modern 2d features like affine
transformations and opacity, etc.  Pd-l2ork leverages Tkpath, a tcl/tk
library.  Other modern toolkits like Qt have their own 2d interfaces
with the same features and could be used, but tcl/tk on its own does not.

> for the non-unix users out there?

For OSX, one of the tcl/tk libraries-- Tkpath needs to be ported from
Carbon to Cocoa.

I haven't investigated a Windows port yet but it's probably mostly a
matter of setting up the proper compile environment more than anything
else.  Granted one would probably need to tweak pd.tk and L2ork's build
script, but getting set up in Windows seems to be where most of the work
is.  (At least in my experience so far.)

-Jonathan