[PD] Data structures and click event

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 23:30:29 CET 2014

On 03/08/2014 12:46 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2014, at 5:59 AM, pd-list-request at iem.at
> <mailto:pd-list-request at iem.at> wrote:
>

>> No.  It requires a toolkit that has modern 2d features like affine
>> transformations and opacity, etc.  Pd-l2ork leverages Tkpath, a
>> tcl/tk library.  Other modern toolkits like Qt have their own 2d
>> interfaces with the same features and could be used, but tcl/tk on
>> its own does not.
>>
>>> for the non-unix users out there?
>>
>> For OSX, one of the tcl/tk libraries-- Tkpath needs to be ported from
>> Carbon to Cocoa.
>
> I have this about halfway done. I finally found the old QuickTime
> Carbon headers so I could port the old school font creation to
> CoreText. All of the old Quick Draw stuff is no longer on the Apple
> Developer docs, so it was a bit confusing at first. It will take a
> little while though since I dip into it now and then among everything
> else.

Hey that's great!

I can probably help once you get that part ready.  One issue will be to
making sure everything builds using a newer version of tcl/tk than what
Pd-extended currently ships with.  It might be good just to go ahead and
try 8.6 since it has some new tk::mac goodies.

>> I haven't investigated a Windows port yet but it's probably mostly a
>> matter of setting up the proper compile environment more than
>> anything else.  Granted one would probably need to tweak pd.tk and
>> L2ork's build script, but getting set up in Windows seems to be where
>> most of the work is.  (At least in my experience so far.)
>
> It shouldn't require too much beyond the current steps to build
> vanilla or extended on Windows: a mingw + msys enviornent. Tkpath uses
> an autoconf build system so it should be fine on Windows as long as
> you point it to the tcl/tk headers. The issue with OSX is that it
> simple hasn't been updated in a while but I imagine it's fine on
> Windows since MS moves very very slowly as far as moving to new APIs
> is concerned.

There are a few other tk libs Pd-l2ork uses.  I'm also assuming Tkpath
doesn't have any crashers in Windows-- I haven't tried it yet.

-Jonathan