[PD] 100k lines of code (was libpd separating gui from core)

me.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 14:29:44 CET 2014

Hi Miller,

I know you probably have more pressing problems but it would be nice to get
something like [getdir] in vanilla before you hit those 100k lines of code
OR 50 years are up :)

I know you have been bugged in the past but I just wanted to throw it in
again in case I could put some influence into you moving such functionality
up the "to do" list...

>> built to last 50 years.  It's now about 17 ywars in (1/3 of its intended
lifetime.)

BTW I find this to be so cool. software minimalism at its finest. for me,
there is no reason to go elsewhere...

thanks for all the work!

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> HI all -
>
> My figure was 100K lines, not 10K.  PD's C code is at about 70K now, and
> the
> Tcl/TK code is 7K - so I am only adding expansions very carefully now.
>
> Another related idea with an absurdly arbitrary round number attached: the
> code is
> built to last 50 years.  It's now about 17 ywars in (1/3 of its intended
> lifetime.)
>
> cheers
> Miller
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 06:26:43PM -0500, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> > What I have been doing is solidifying core features to get a better idea
> of
> > what the source should look like. Separating anything beforehand will
> > result in s lot of problems/busywork later. I would also not deceive
> myself
> > that 10K lines is enough. Pd-extended is way above that when you include
> > 3rs party externals. Ditto for pd-l2ork.
> > On Feb 26, 2014 6:10 PM, "Peter Brinkmann" <
> peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com>
> > wrote:

> is
> please
> was
> > >>
> > > That's why separating the GUI from the audio engine is so important. I
> > > sort of agree that 10000 lines of irreducible GUI+audio code would
> probably
> > > be unmaintainable. On the other hand, 5000 lines of audio code plus
> 5000
> > > lines of GUI code, communicating through a smallish, well-defined
> > > interface, wouldn't be a problem at all.

m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
megrimm at gmail.com