[PD] 100k lines of code (was libpd separating gui from core)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 17:38:13 CET 2014

In Pd-l2ork:
[dir(

[canvasinfo]

And for dir of Pd binary:
[dir(

[pdinfo]

And don't take IOhannes' bait.  He's implying that Pd Vanilla is a community project-- that if  _we_ coded up a currency converter, or some much more pressing functionality, Miller would accept that code.  That is clearly not the case.

Additionally, IOhannes also knows that Miller wants the [initbang] functionality in the form of a backwards-compatible [loadbang] which takes arguments.  Why does he argue with you about priority instead of coding that up?  If Pd Vanilla were a community project I'd say, "show me the code".  Instead, I think he's being prudent and knows from experience that Miller doesn't delegate responsibility for new features but instead codes them up himself, when he feels like it.  (And evidently with very little priority as the [initbang] functionality has been requested for a very long time and data structure list fields not at all.)

And that's fine for a personal project like Pd Vanilla or Nyquist.  Those authors are kind enough to release their software under a permissive license and have never asked for a community of helpers.  It just leads to unnecessary frustration when others imply these things are "upstream" from other projects and pretend that there's a workable development process centered around them.

-Jonathan