[PD] Data structures and click event

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 05:54:28 CET 2014

On 03/07/2014 06:55 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I'll have to have a look and see what the ideas are... I don't
> know anything yet.

Well there's the important stuff:
https://jwilkes.nfshost.com/mm.webm

And then the less important stuff, like being able to patch 15 out of
the 28 demos shown here:
http://raphaeljs.com/

Essentially everything except the ones with gradients and text, but
those features can be added later.

It's generally not as high level as Raphael-- for example I ported the
Raphael code to subpatches for the easing demo, and I'm just using
[line] to do the animation.  However, it would not be too hard on the Pd
side to add an "animate" method.  In fact that'd be quite efficient as
you'd only be sending a single message over the socket and letting the
GUI take care of the details.

Also, I'm instantiating scalars inside object boxes.  Since the user can
send messages to update shape attributes straight to the parent draw
command, this means he/she can do an end-run around pointers for
prototyping.  So essentially you have the ability to dynamically change
visual attributes on the class level (i.e., the parentwidgetbehavior)
and on the object level (for the specific scalar, as you can currently).

There are still lots of details to get right, like handling groups
properly, but the basic stuff is there.

-Jonathan