[PD] udoo board sound issues

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 02:36:03 CET 2014

On 15/03/14 23:03, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> I guess I don't get that since I've been playing that relative latency for
> years. How is 10-15 ms not "real time"? It's not even really perceivable
> unless you're doing lots of high rate short attack&  decay stuff. At least as
> far as I can tell. I must be slow. :D
>
> Then again, I might be wrong. I'll probably try the hard float Debian UDOO
> image next. That might give us some room.

Musicians in orchestras have been playing with, dealing with, much longer
latencies for centuries. An orchestra cannot all be within a metre or so of each
other, they are 10s of metres apart, and that is on top of the different set of
differences in distance to the audience. In a pit in an opera or ballet it gets
much worse. Any modern PA adds substantial latencies to achieve a good sound in
the audience, and mostly use mics and foldback in other kinds of performances,
and make the musicians life easier by avoiding the natural latency issues of an
acoustic performance.

Organ players have dealt with huge latencies for as long as there have been big
pipe organs. Percussionists using real instruments don't get the attack from
their instruments till well after they initiate the note by starting to move
their stick toward the cymbal.

Wood and metal instruments all have considerable latencies, some much more than
others, it is all part of playing that particular instrument. Electric guitar
players rely on the latency between amp and pickup (this time only a few
milliseconds) for their sound.

Any digital instrument also has latencies. Basically it is a matter of playing
the instrument you are using.

Simon