[PD] [OT] Raspberry Pi Wolfson Audio Card

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Tue Mar 18 12:02:25 CET 2014

Am Donnerstag, 13. März 2014, 16:01:20 schrieb Rafael Vega:
> Anyone wants to share their experience with the BeagleBoneBlack?

Yes.

Since autumn, i am trying to set up an kit hardware+software with BBB for
computer-musicians as stomp box, works quite well, after successfully
installed it in a long term sound installation (headless):

some points short:

system:
 + BBB moved to Debian since this year (good)
 + USB Audio works fine und better now with kernel >= 3.12
 + Network performance works better with kernel >= 3.12
 - IO support doenst use device-tree overlays anymore on kernel > 3.8
 + an iio-backend for Jack2 to use the internal AD's
   in jack for processing sensor data in PD ;-)))  but tricky

sound:

 + down to 10ms with PD and cheap 8 channel out, 2 in
   USB soundcard Logilink 7.1    (EUR 19.90)
 +  5ms with Logilink stereo USB (EUR 3,90)
 + success with audio-cape (stereo, but too expensive for the quality)
 - sound quality is normally as bad as on most notebooks, tablets and so on
 + but with a trick: filtered 5V supply for the USB-card not the USB power
   it seems to get reasonable quality
   (They have all the same chips like expensive USB cards: C-Media)

I just made a blog on this, but it is not public only for intern usage, if
anyone is interested in the IEM-embedded-Sound-Kit (doing some audio over
ethernet stuff) i can make it open (after some polishing, especially the
english) and release the PD-lib (GPIO,AD,I2C,... interfacing) for these
devices.

This dev's should also work for Cubie-boards, Wand-boards, UDOO and other arm
based boards.

mfg
 winfried

PS: Maybe we can start an own thread on this.