[PD] [qlist] and locality

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 22:03:48 CEST 2014

On Don, 2014-04-03 at 16:13 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> thanks for explaining it all
>

> > imagine trying to design something like that
> > which is also backwards compatible with the
> > crude namespacing tools that already exist in Pd.
> >  It's not possible
>

> ok, here's where I'm a bit confuse. You're not saying it'd be
> impossible to make messages inherit the $0 value, are you?

Wow, you keep beating that horse after its dead for quite a while by
now. It is _not_at_all_ about technical difficulties (probably it is
indeed difficult, I don't really know). It's about breaking consistency.
Expanding arguments of the parent is different from expanding to
elements of incoming messages.

While I understand your frustration to some degree, I don't think this
debate is going lead anywhere, simply because of that fact that I don't
believe any dev will deliberately introduce inconsistencies just for the
sake of convenience. And yes, I understand the convenience of $0
expanding to the canvas-local ID and yes, it would probably make
patching simpler. I am very much with you in this respect.

Roman