[PD] [qlist] and locality

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 00:03:38 CEST 2014

On 04/03/2014 03:13 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> thanks for explaining it all
>
> > imagine trying to design something like that
> > which is also backwards compatible with the
> > crude namespacing tools that already exist in Pd.
> >  It's not possible
>
> ok, here's where I'm a bit confuse. You're not saying it'd be
> impossible to make messages inherit the $0 value, are you?

I don't know how difficult such a change is.  I assume something in Pd's
parser would need to be changed.  I can't remember if the code
responsible for parsing a msg box message even knows where the message
got sent from-- seems ike it doesn't since I can't "find last error" on
msg-box parsing errors (like an out-of-range dollarsign variable).

What I'm saying is that even with a canvas $0 inside message boxes Pd's
scope system is still way too clunky.  You still don't get
straightforward subpatch-locality, nor nested-abstraction locality. I
think Tim Blechmann's Nova system did both, and Ivica's [preset_hub] and
[preset_node] get the latter (though I don't think it does global
scope).  Both work perfectly fine with no $0 at all. The pedagogical
benefit is enormous-- new users can get the scope they want without
having to learn or think about what a dollarsign variable is, or how
string concatenation works.  In the case of [preset_hub], just creating
the object sets the scope boundary almost certainly to what the user
wants it to be.  I like that.

-Jonathan