[PD] 64bit runtime error 'couldn't read file "/usr/tcl//pd-gui.tcl"'

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Wed Apr 9 10:01:17 CEST 2014

>> Hi
>>
>> I've just installed pd and when I run it I get the following line
>> on the console, and no gui is started:
>
>hi.
>it would be great if you could provide some more information.
>
>which version of Pd are you talking about?

0.45-3

>where did you get Pd? how did you install Pd? (compiled from source?
>package manager? other pre-built binary?)

Compiled from source obtained from the pd project page, using this
method to package it:

./autogen.sh

CFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
CXXFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
    ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
    --sysconfdir=/etc \
    --datadir=/usr/share/pd \
    --localstatedir=/var \
    --enable-alsa \
    --enable-setuid \
    --enable-jack \
    --enable-portaudio \
    --disable-portmidi

make
make install DESTDIR=$PKG

>which OS are you using?
>your path only indicate that it is a un*x like system, but it might
>help to know whether you are using some obscure linux distro or plain
>irix :-)

Slackware linux 14.1 64bit

>> % locate pd-gui.tcl /usr/bin/pd-gui.tcl
>> /usr/lib64/pd/tcl/pd-gui.tcl
>
>/usr/lib64/?
>is this path still used on some (linux) systems? openSuSE?

I though most 64bit OS's used /usr/lib64?

>> Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>>

>with a recent Pd you might have success by simply running:
>   /usr/bin/pd-gui.tcl
>(instead of just "pd"). the foremost reason why Pd does not start, is
>that it cannot find it's own GUI component. you should be able to
>start the GUI by itself, which will in turn start the "core" pd -
>maybe with more success.

I did try, but:

% pd-gui.tcl
Error in startup script: can't find package pd_connect
    while executing
"package require pd_connect"
    (file "/usr/bin/pd-gui.tcl" line 26)

Thanks