[PD] keeping Pd DSP alive

patrice colet colet.patrice at free.fr
Mon Apr 14 00:04:44 CEST 2014

Le 13/04/2014 22:42, Chris Clepper a écrit :
> I could not get PortAudio to work on ARM at all and Jack has issues
> with duplex low latency.
>
> What's the deal with the ALSA mmap code?  Doesn't that use callbacks?

just an idea, what about using a signal (generated with sig~ or adc~)
for checking if DSP is running, and send amplitude to another instance,
or a daemon that would turn dsp on if signal isn't coming anymore, or
kill and launch pd again if it doesn't respond to pings

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu
> <mailto:msp at ucsd.edu>> wrote:
>
>     You might have already tried this, but it might work better to use
>     portaudio to get to ALSA - it can connect with ALSA using callbacks
>     which the built-in ASA code doesn't.  I don't know what difference
>     this
>     will make but perhaps it will help.

I'm afraid callbacks would take a lot of CPU

>     (try compiling with and without FAKEBLOCKING and THREADSIGNAL
>     defined in
>     s_audio_pa.c).
>
>     cheers
>     Miller
>
>     On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 07:26:56PM -0700, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>     > There isn't a way to poll the DSP state in Pd Vanilla.
>     >
>     > -Jonathan
>     >
>     > On Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:47 PM, Chris Clepper
>     <cgclepper at gmail.com <mailto:cgclepper at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > [pdinfo] is not part of vanilla.  I can't (nor want to) use
>     extended for this project.
>     >

maybe you want to use pd-l2ork (works greatly on raspbian)