[PD] [expr] external crashing pd

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 19 09:39:32 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-16 21:12, Kim Cascone wrote:

> two situations are crashing pd:
>
> - when I try to change an expression in the object, like multiply
> a ratio by 2 or something it crashes pd

unable to reproduce.

> - when I attempt to create 10 ratio divisions with outlets (try
> adding one to the patch I've attached below) it crashes the app as
> well
>
> is this a known bug?

kind of.
looking at the sources of expr i see (extra/expr~/vexp.h):

<snip>
/*
 * Currently the maximum number of variables (inlets) that are supported
 * is 10.
 */
#define MAX_VARS        9
</snip>

and later (showing that not only the "inlets" are limited, but also
the number of outlets is hardcoded to MAX_VARS):
<snap>
  t_outlet *exp_outlet[MAX_VARS];
</snap>

so you cannot have more than 9 inlets.
expr should not crash though, and instead print something to the
pd-console, that tells you about that problem.

so for now, my hint would be to not use [expr] and instead do explicit
patching.
in your case this is pretty straightforward (see attached patch...)

fgamsdr
IOhannes