[PD] Screen tear/flicker when going full screen

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Mon May 26 15:09:07 CEST 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Antonio Roberts
<antonio at hellocatfood.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Pd Extended 0.43.4 on Ubuntu 14.04. I've got a Dell XPS13
> with Intel Ivybridge Mobile i7 graphics and I'm getting lots of screen
> tear/flicker when I go full screen with an external monitor attached.
> It doesn't matter if I'm full screen on the external or primary
> monitor, I still get lots of flicker.
>
> Attached is an example patch that causes this problem (contains
> flashing colours)
>
> I've noticed that if I don't go full screen (deleting border 0) then
> the flicker stops, but I then have the window borders and menu bar
> being displayed.
>
> Is this a problem with GEM?

You can check by playing this youtube vidoe:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg

If you have tearing in general, try to create a file called
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
with the following options:

Section "Device"
 Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
 Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

(I assume you have an intel gfx card)

If that doesn't help, try to install compton (
https://github.com/chjj/compton)
and run it like this:
 ./compton --backend glx --vsync opengl

(unless you run another compositor manager at the same time, that should
work)