[PD] compile pd-0.45-5 on Linux with autogen.sh

IOhannes m zmölnig via Pd-list pd-list at lists.iem.at
Wed Jun 25 09:56:23 CEST 2014

On 06/24/2014 07:15 PM, Max via Pd-list wrote:
> On 06/24/2014 07:01 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
>> HI all -
>
>> I'm not sure, but the output your'e getting might mean that the
>> thing succeeded.

correct.
you only get a number of warnings (actually afaict, you only get two
warnings but they keep being retriggered)

> Indeed, following ./configure and make there is a binary in the
> directory src (sic!)

is this a problem?

autotools will - by design - create all (final) output files (like
binaries, or libraries) in *their* source directory (or below).

> but with two issues: 1. It failed to detect Jack,

this is by design: historically Pd has never auto-detected jack, you
always had to manually use "--enable-jack".

> and 2. when I run this i get the following
>
> disabling real-time priority due to missing pd-watchdog
> (/home/pd-0.45-5/src/bin/pd-watchdog)
> Error in startup script: couldn't read file
> "/home/pd-0.45-5/src/tcl//pd-gui.tcl": no such file or directory

well yes, the build-system is really optimized to create "installed"
binaries.
if you do not want to run "make install" (nor "make install
DESTDIR=/home/pd/0.45.5"), you could do a quick symlink hack, so Pd can
find everything:
$ cd src
$ ln -s ../tcl/ .
$ ln -s ../src/ .

in any case, since mint is based on ubuntu, which is based on debian,
you should have fairly recent Pd-packages anyhow:
Debian (testing) currently ships 0.45-4 (this reminds me, that i should
update the debian package).

if your distro ships an older version you can do:
$ dget
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/puredata/puredata_0.45.4-2.dsc
$ cd puredata-0.45.4/
$ sudo aptitude install devscripts
$ sudo mk-build-deps -i -r debian/control
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

this will create the puredata package(s) using the autotools method.
you can then install it using:
$ sudo dpkg -i ../puredata*_0.45.4-2_*.deb

fmsadr
IOhannes