[PD] -nogui alsa

Simon Wise via Pd-list pd-list at lists.iem.at
Thu Jun 26 06:19:40 CEST 2014

On 26/06/14 09:56, via Pd-list wrote:
> how hard would it be to fix this pending bug:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/bugs/393/
>
> the workaround is:
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq/why-doesn-t-audio-work-when-i-start-pd-in-nogui-mode
>
> i lost many hours (who cares) thinking that it was my setup (alsa / raspberry
> pi). also when trying any patch in documentation, i have to modify it on a
> remote computer with gui (adding the fix) and upload it back to the rpi.

the -nogui bug is certainly annoying, the whole [initbang] [loadbang] etc timing
is messy, but you don't have to copy back and forth to edit and run patches ...

if you have a computer running X (e.g. linux or apple with it installed) then:

  ssh -X pi at 192.168.1.20 pd

[use your own RPi IP of course] to have the pd GUI open on your local desktop

if you do not have access to X then run vnc instead, and open pd from there ...

first run vncserver on the RPi (either in /etc/rc.local or via ssh), then
connect with your choice of vnc client.

To start vnc at boot, first use vncpasswd to make a password, then add ...

sudo -u pi -i  vncserver

to /etc/rc.local before the "exit" line.

Simon