[PD] The dwc_otg.speed=1 issues on RPI with keyboards

Simon Wise via Pd-list pd-list at lists.iem.at
Sat Jun 28 18:21:23 CEST 2014

On 29/06/14 01:03, Ivica Bukvic via Pd-list wrote:
> I unfortunately don't have the SD card with the said version of raspbian
> handy but FWIW I do recall not having to adjust boot parameters in the most
> recent install and had no problems connecting wired keyboard, mouse, and a
> monitor without pi crashing.

Many sound cards do not require the "dwc_otg.speed=1" setting, get one of those.
The RPi USB is really quite awful, and many sound cards do things it cannot cope
with, but the simple ones are mostly fine. I believe it has been improved over
time, so a recent raspbian would be sensible. I've used wireless keyboards or
wifi with usb audio on a few occasions, but usually try to make all
communications via ethernet and custom interfaces via the local GPIOs.

this audio chip has worked well, sounds clean and is cheap ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-USB-Powered-PCM2704-MINI-USB-Sound-Card-DAC-decoder-board-for-PC-Computer-/171295902514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e2080b32

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCM2704-USB-DAC-to-S-PDIF-Sound-Card-Decoder-Board-3-5mm-Analog-Output-F-PC-/171295895054?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e207ee0e&_sid=2048038

Some Bluetooth keyboards do a very annoying 'sleep' to save battery .. but then
they don't send the first couple of keystrokes when you start typing again,
meaning you need to hit shift before starting typing to wake it up. Useless when
trying to use it for cues etc. No idea how common this design is, but I wasted
some cash (much more than the audio card!) on mine.

Simon