[PD] Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list <pd-list at lists.iem.at>

Simon Wise via Pd-list pd-list at lists.iem.at
Thu Jul 17 07:42:22 CEST 2014

On 17/07/14 14:33, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:

> I ordered one the other day, so I'll definitely test it, too. (I've never played
> with an RPI before, so I'll probably doing some general playing around before
> getting to Pd specifically.)

They are good value and compact, but rather limited compared to units that cost
a bit more. I've done a few projects, they are probably most useful for video
playback and working with GPIO input, the wolfson card may make them good for
stereo audio also ... but the access to the GPU is fairly closed and I've
struggled to get them to do what I want, kind of got there ... certainly playing
a single HD video with sound through hdmi is good, 3D mapping is possible, also
alpha overlays ... but it is still very much custom per project at the moment
for me. Playing HD is very much at the limit of what they can do and requires a
lot of tweaking and compromises depending on what is wanted each time. They can
do more at lower resolutions. Documentation beyond the sample code is limited.
The GPIO stuff has some nice libraries and works well.

Sometime later this year I'll have something more generalised and usable that I
can share, but for now it really is too messy.

Simon