[PD] [bp~] really equal to [vcf~]?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:18:28 CEST 2014

>> The real part may be used as a resonant
>> bandpass filter and the imaginary as a
>> resonant low-pass filter, but they can be
>> combined to make other possibilities."

> what sort of possibilities???

I wouldn't expect much about this. I guess it's like any other filters that
can be combined in many ways.

Another thing I wanted to inquire is about bp~ having a frequency response
that is not symmetric. The lower part of the spectrum has more energy.
Could one consider it more of a "resonant low-pass filter", similar to
[vcf~]'s second outlet?

By the way, while we're at it, I'd like to share something that may not be
too important, but it's related. I was able to implement [cpole~] in
[fexpr~]. Here it goes:

expr 1:

[fexpr~ $x1 + ($x3 * $y1) - ($x4 * $y2);
$x2 + ($x4 * $y1) + ($x3 * $y2)]

if we consider $x3 and $x4 as variables named, respectively, coefr
(coeficient for the real part) and coefi (coeficient for the imaginary
part), we then have:

expr 2:

*[fexpr~ $x1 + (coefr * $y1) - (coefi * $y2);*
*$x2** + (*coefi * $y1) + (coefr * $y2)]

Now, by checking the code of [vcf~] I was able to narrow down to its core
formula, which is something like this

expr 3:

*ampcorrect * oneminusr* * *f1 + (coefr * re2) - (coefi * im)*;
*(coefi * re2) + (coefr * im)*

the bolded letters in "expr 3" seem to match perfectly to "expr 2". The
differences are underlined ($x2 in expr 2 and ampcorrect/oneminusr in expr
3).

That gets me closer to being able to implement [vcf~] with a [cpole~] I
guess, but I find it weird that the imaginary output does not have the $x2
signal input to be added to the rest of the expression. I worry that
actually prevents it from being successfully implemented with [cpole~]. Am
I missing something?

Anyway, the thing is that I'm still really curious to learn wether vcf~ is
a "two pole" filter or a "one complex pole" filter, and the reason behind
it is because I believe we could make a biquad~ version of [vcf~] (at least
for its real output). That's the bottom line.

cheers