[PD] Soundfile info

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 21:38:54 CEST 2014

Hi Ico

It's been while since was I asking myself the same question. IIRC,
[iemlib/soundfile_info] is far superior to [ext13/wavinfo]. The latter
assumes a fixed header structure for wav file while many wav files may
have quite different headers. [soundfile_info] deals with far more kinds
of (valid!), but had troubles once with so-called broadcast wav files,
but I think after I reported the issue it got fixed.

Actually, I only tested with wav files. [soundfile_info] claims support
for AIFF files, too, but I haven't used/tested it. [wavinfo] supports
only wav files, from what I can tell.

The sad part about this is that [readsf~ ] and [soundfiler] from Pd
already have the ability to parse sound file headers, but they do not
report anything. I haven't checked if they share code, but
[soundfile_info] and [wavinfo] are totally separate implementations. I'd
trust the built-in implementation the most as I never had any issue to
load a PCM-encoded wav file with [readsf~] or [soundfiler].
[soundfile_info] is second, [wavinfo] is clearly the loser.

In my personal Pd utopia, I could create a [readsf~ 16] and it would
allow me to load sound files with a channel count between 1 and 16. When
including the number of channels. Then I wouldn't have to open each
sound file twice, once for checking its properties and a second time for
playing it, and I could with sound files with previously unknown number
of channels in a much more dynamic way.

Roman