[PD] comments with trailing | ?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 00:24:19 CEST 2014

On 08/06/2014 12:08 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 01/31/2014 09:47 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> Btw-- I haven't tested this.  I'd be a lot more likely to try out code
>> on Pd Vanilla 0.45 if someone could explain to me how to do incremental
>> builds.  If I change a single line in g_text.c in 0.43 it only requires
>> a single "make" that takes about 3 seconds.  Doing the same in 0.45
>> requires "make clean && make", unnecessarily rebuilding all of Pd.
> why?
>
>> Doing "make" in the src directory of 0.45 only rebuilds the things that
>> need to recompile, but it doesn't update the binary, which makes it
>> useless.
> how come?
>
> it works fine here, and the binary is updated immediately.
>
> but, then i don't know which "binary" you are talking about.
> the actual "pd" binary produced by the autotools, will live in
> ".../src/pd" (as opposed to .../bin/pd produced by the "traditional"
> makefile), maybe you just checked the wrong one?

Let's do it:
0) Download and untar pd-0.45-5 src from Miller's website, on Debian
Jessie 32-bit box
1) ./autogen.sh
2) ./configure
3) make

4) ./src/pd

Oops...
Error in startup script: couldn't read file
"/home/pd-0.45-5/src/tcl//pd-gui.tcl": no such file or directory

Which-- as I already stated in an old thread-- requires me to do this
from the main pd directory:
cp src/pd .

Then run
./pd

Now it runs.  Great!

So now let's test an incremental change, adding this to clip_float in
x_arithmetic.c:
post("clip floated!");

And do
make
cp src/pd .
./pd

Hm.  Don't see my change reflected when I click-drag [nbx]---[clip]

Now I try this:
make && make clean
(eat a few cheese and crackers, check some email)

Pd window printout area:
clip floated!
clip floated!
clip floated!
[etc.]

So I don't get an updated binary in the src/ directory with "make", and
I do get an updated binary when doing "make && make clean".

-Jonathan