[PD] Android latency status?

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:55:00 CEST 2014

On 06/08/14 20:17, Filippo Beck Peccoz wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm in the process of starting another PD based project, but was wondering if
> the latency on Android devices is still terrible compared to any other
> platform? I've seen this list and the numbers are staggering…
>
> is there really no solution at all to this problem? Anything that need to be
> closer synced is basically impossible with that kind of latency :Z
>
> Not whining of course, just curious as to why this is still a problem on
> Android.

perhaps because the gadgets being sold are set up for media playback, as devices
where the user can buy connection to an ISP then buy downloadable media and apps
through the company store, that kind of thing. Big buffers make all that
smoother and more reliable. Then, partly to make sure they are plug and play,
that they have a reasonable chance at offering support to naive users and those
that apps and media downloaded will "just work" on whatever (cheaper or more
powerful device) ... and I'd guess also partly to keep control of the platform
and help keep most digital sales in house etc ... the manufacturers deliver them
set up so that the user and the apps they download can only use the API that is
provided and with big warnings whenever said users strays from the path. You are
wishing to use them for a different purpose, with different API needs.

It is possible to install an unrestricted android OS, but the magic incantation
"void the warranty" scares many away from this (so does the incessant, but
vague, message of "beware of pirates"). So if your project is for devices you
have control of, and warranty fuse bits are not a concern, then it is possible
to try using the usual linux audio stack alongside androids user interface, and
get the kind of audio latencies possible with linux on that hardware.

But ... you probably want the option of distributing more widely than that, and
if you don't stick to the rules you can't distribute to devices that are
restricted in the usual way, while if you want to use the devices as hardware
you probably don't care to much whether it is android or GNU that is running on
top of the linux kernel.

You can certainly try hardware such as the Udoo, which has full GNU- and
Android- linux support, with the same quad CPU that the 2013 Samsung Note (and
others) use, and with touchscreens available, considerably cheaper than a
Samsung. Not in the same compact form of course, and the screen isn't as nice.
For that you might try some of the tablets that sold with less restrictive
setups, more admin/root access etc.

Simon