[PD] Android latency status?

Peter Brinkmann peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 9 07:10:12 CEST 2014

Like Rich said, libpd uses OpenSL ES if available and falls back on the
Java API if necessary (Android 2.2 and earlier).

Internally, libpd uses the opensl_stream library (
https://github.com/nettoyeurny/opensl_stream), which hides the complexity
of OpenSL and provides a few other benefits, such as a credible illusion of
synchronized input and output. When configured correctly, opensl_stream
will use the low-latency track of OpenSL.

You may also want to take a look at Patchfield (
https://github.com/google/patchfield), which sits on top of opensl_stream
and also integrates with libpd.

Both opensl_stream and Patchfield target official APIs on stock Android
devices, but they are intended to give the best possible performance within
those constraints.
Cheers,
     Peter