[PD] pd, csound, fluidsynth -- and is this unnecessarily cumbersome?

forrest curo treegestalt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 03:25:34 CEST 2014

Mainly I want to use the computer (pc running linux) as a musical
instrument -- ie construct ways to input notes, changing volumes, timbres
ect in real time, eventually have a system set up to run a sequence back
with variations, different instruments, etc. while I play along with some
other voice...

Soundfonts & fluidsynth work very well for producing basically ear-friendly
sounds... Pd looks ideal for handling HID input, keeping track of incoming
notes, doing interesting things with these.

But to connect these two things I've been using csoundapi~ and fluidsynth
opcodes. As I understand this, pd is running a copy of csound in a sort of
virtual box?

Anyway, it gets tricky to hit the same note, same channel in close
succession, because the repetition going through the fluidengine cuts the
first note off -- and in any case that first note is not available for
separate processing until it comes out through the fluidOut opcode, mushed
together with everything else sent to that fluidengine.

Running multiple fluidengines in csound is quite doable, but starts slowing
the system down after the first two or three...

But basically, all I'm getting from the csound and the fluidengine is this
Rube-Goldberg arrangement for playing from a pleasant set of sound-samples.
Reading audio arrays -- something pd should do on it's own perfectly well...

Suggestions for finding samples in an sf2 file, putting it into a pd array,
and thus playing it more directly?

Forrest Curo
San Diego
US