[PD] pd, csound, fluidsynth -- and is this unnecessarily cumbersome?

forrest curo treegestalt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 17:35:14 CEST 2014

>  "It might be easier to just run the fluidsynth command line binary and
talk to
it over a virtual loopback midi connection which is very easy to set up with
qjacktl or similar tools on Linux. Then you wouldn't need Csound or
csoundapi
at all."

Looking at that source code, found references to 'fluidsynth.h' which led
me to fluidsynth.sourceforge.net/api/ [towards writing an extension
directly if the old code doesn't work out(?) (Arrgh, 'flext' next!)] Midi
isn't the only way to use it...
-----
related idle(?) question:

How much overhead is there from using the [csoundapi~], anyway? & does it
connect to the system only through pd [as it does, & should do for audio],
or can it send/receive directly to other programs, ports etc? (ie for
example: python interpretor?)