[PD] max midi in devices

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Mon Aug 25 12:00:40 CEST 2014

Back then (90's) I had racks of synth that needed to be connected both ways
to software editors and sequencers, many MIDI controlled effects, Eqs,
routers, etc. All connectd both ways for editing.

I had to connect two MIDI interfaces with 8x8 in/outs.
All of those used to have their own port.

I wasn't using Pd at that time, though.
Nowadays most synths got replaced by plugins and only the controllers need
to be connected by MIDI (or MIDI over USB).

Since the majority of the DAWs don't understand anything but MIDI and
neither do most musicians understand anything more complicated than MIDI I'm
assuming that MIDI will stay for quite some more time.

Now that many manufacturers are building MIDI controllers (apart from
keyboards, MIDI guitars, wind controllers, etc.) like a single foot pedal, a
single foot switch or gesture control using a full MIDI interface over USB
the number will be growing again. I'm pretty sure of that.

Instead of connecting one arduino that can handle 30-40 sensors each
controller uses its own MIDI interface.

Ingo