[PD] Arduino for Pd'ers tutorial

fjkraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 2 13:30:14 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-02 10:31, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Py Fave <pyfave at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> this is very nice !
>> i have one (beginner) question,
>> for analog inputs ,if you push your potentiometer full right,
>> couldn't it harm the card because it is a kind of short ?
>> would it be better to have a resistor in serial?
>
> I have to admit that my knowledge on electronics is non-existent. I've
> built quite some controllers with Arduino though, and never used any
> resistor with potentiometers and nothing weird happened, they work
> fine...
>
> I know that when you spin a potentiometer full right or left, it
> connects its middle leg to 5V or ground, but never had problems with
> it.
>
> Maybe someone who's got knowledge on this could clarify it...

If you want to measure the potentiometer voltage, you would define the
pin as input. The inputs can stand this voltage as it is not higher than
the supply voltage. But for your peace of mind you can add a resistor (1
kohm range) in case the pin is defined as output.

It is different of your Arduino is a 3.3V type like the Due... These
definitly do not like voltages above 3.3V.

Fred Jan