[PD] Compile error on Odroid-U3

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 2 14:09:33 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-02 13:52, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig
> <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
>
> On 2014-09-02 10:44, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
>
> check what you have, think what you will never use and throw it
> away.
>
>> Is all this stuff going to be in /usr/bin ? Where should I look?
>> I'm a complete "amateur" in Linux.

when i say "throw away" i do *not* mean that you should go and start
to manually delete files in /usr/bin/

- - the files in there won't give much disk-space.
e.g. my /usr/bin/libreoffice is really just a symlink to
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice,
which means, that deleting /usr/bin/libreoffice will free a handful of
bytes (hard to guess exactly; most likely less than 64 bytes in total!)

more important:
- - manually deleting files in /usr/bin is a good start to completely
brick your system, esp. if you are an "amateur linux cracksman".

thus:
- - fire up your favourite packagemanager.
- - skim through the packages installed.
- - find those you don't like.
- - mark them for deletion (your package manager will/should complain if
you have marked a package for deletion which is necessary for other
packages to function properly)
- - apply your changes.

iirc, you have been experimenting quite a lot with various linux
distributions in the last months. so by now, you should have a
favourite package manager for Debian-derived systems (and know how to
use it).
if not, you should spend the time to acquaint yourself with one (i'd
suggest "aptitude" in interactive mode, but others will work as well)

> in the meantime, you might want to start thinking about why you
> have an 8GB disk and you only see 3.5GB (on two partitions).
>
> - maybe you are not using the emmc module at all
>
>> How can that be? It's the only hard drive Odroid has on it.
>
> - maybe there is a large unused/unpartioned space on the emmc
> module. - maybe you bought an 8GB module but only got a 4GB one.
>
>> There's a hand written 8 on the module, I hope I got what I
>> ordered...

tja...

> in any case, check $ cat /proc/partitions
>
>> It gives me this: major minor  #blocks  name
>
>> 179        0    7634944 mmcblk0 179        1     131584
>> mmcblk0p1 179        2    3570688 mmcblk0p2 179       24
>> 512 mmcblk0rpmb 179       16       4096 mmcblk0boot1 179        8
>> 4096 mmcblk0boot0

ok, this is not that bad.
it seems indeed that your disk has 8GB (approx; it says 7.6GB), and
that it has 2 usable partitions (o size 3.5GB and 128MB), which
explains why you cannot see much of the disk.

you could repartition your disk, but i won't guide you through that
via email (as it's too easy to brick the system).

fgmasdr
IOhannes