[PD] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Updated pd-extended

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 16 09:43:34 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-16 05:36, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> as long as we're on the subject, I'm noticing this seems to be the
> biggest version difference, it's 3 generations behind (0.43
> extended vs 0.46 vanilla). My question is, next release would be
> 0.44 or would you be able to skip right to 0.46? If the idea is to
> follow the order and go to 0.44 next, why is it so important to
> stick to this sequence?

it is not. why do you think it is?

most likely the next release of Pd-extended (if that ever happens)
will be based on whatever Pd-version is current then.

> Moreover, what holds pd extended from being updated to the latest
> versions? Like the original question, would it be possible to just
> get the extra extended stuff and pack it around vanilla?

like in the original question: yes, for *most* externals this will be
possible. Pd (and PdX) has a pretty stable API/ABI (i'm saying *most*
because you never know; but i expect all externals to keep working).

> I understand this wouldn't be as simple as that, but you know what
> I mean...

actually, i don't.

> I wonder if the problem is that there is some "to do list" in the
> extended agenda that holds it development and update to the latest
> versions.

i'm an outsider to Pd-extended, so i'm not authorized to answer this.
however, my unauthorized answer is:
the "to do list" of the pd-extended agenda is the same as the todo
list of the one *single* person who only ever pushed the development
of PdX. and this person is currently occupied with earning money to
feed their family, so PdX-development has become a minor priority.

i guess that Pd-extended development never paid very well.

fgmasdr
IOhannes