[PD] rfc: data structure drawing command names

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 03:50:16 CEST 2014

Other OSes: yes, though I cannot say when.
Pd-extended and Vanilla: probably not.

-Jonathan

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:26 PM, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi,

a question: are these new commands only for pd-l2ork? Will they ever be part of extended, or of any other OS except linux?

Best,

Joao

Hi list,
>     I've got a nice collection of new drawing commands in Pd-l2ork for drawing scalars that are (mostly) based on the svg spec from HTML5.  Currently they are named [draw $shape], where $shape can be an svg shape, path, or also some higher-level convenience command like a sprite.  (There is also [group] for svg groups, which should probably be [draw group].)  Arguments set the initial coordinate data, like [draw line 0 0 40 40], but coords and attributes like color/opacity/transform can also be set and/or changed by sending messages to the object.
>

>What do people think of this kind of two word naming scheme, as compared to Pd Vanilla's where the name of the shape is in the selector like [drawcurve] or [drawpolygon]?  I don't usually like the two word naming scheme, like the [list] objects.  But in this case, the object interface is the same no matter what shape is chosen.  (Nearly because [draw sprite] has a method for setting the index.)  So everything really is one class called "draw", and the shape-- though it cannot be changed after instantiation-- is data that determines how to interpret the rest of the args plus any attributes set by sending messages.
>
>Thanks,
>Jonathan

Friedenstr. 58
10249 Berlin Deutschland
Tel +49 30 42020091 | Mob +49 162 6843570
jmmmpais at googlemail.com | skype: jmmmpjmmmp
http://www.puredata.org/Members/jmmmp