[PD] running vanilla with Tcl 8.5 on OSX

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 17:56:56 CEST 2014

I got it.

As it says in pd/mac/README.txt:
Note: The "wish-shell.tgz" is an archive of this app I found on my mac:
System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Resources/Wish Shell.app
A smarter version of the scripts ought to be able to find that file
automatically on your system so I wouldn't have to include it here.
We just need to use the 8.5 version of Wish. I can put together a script to do this if you want.

On Sep 20, 2014, at 1:28 AM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> I'll give this a look when I have some time.
>
> Pd's app structure is copied from "Wish Shell.app" - it might work simply to
> build it using a different version of wish as a base.  If you want to try that
> yourself, I think you can just rebuild Pd using the build-macosx script in
> pd/mac, after having made a new version of a directory "stuff" containing
> wish-shell.tgz (an archive of whatever wish shell version you want) and the
> two auxilliary files pd.icns and pd-file.icns
>
> cheers
> Miller
>
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:45:52AM -0400, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> Does anyone know how I can clue Pd-vanilla in on using Tcl 8.5 instead of 8.4? I tried changing the require version in pd-gui.tcl but no dice:
>>
>> version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.4, need 8.5
>>    while executing
>> "package require Tcl 8.5"
>>
>> OSX 10.8 has both 8.4 & 8.5 built in and it seems the default tclsh points to the 8.5 install, but it seems the method Pd uses to find Tcl & Wish.app end up choosing 8.4 instead.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm asking mainly because with 8.5 you can get "retina" screen enabled fonts which are nice and crisp as opposed to Pd's current blurry fonts. I remember trying this about 6 months ago after I got the machine but ran into the same problem and moved on. Would be nice to provide a patch and some info on how to make it work.
>>
>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> @danomatika
>> danomatika.com