[PD] running vanilla with Tcl 8.5 on OSX

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 19:01:13 CEST 2014

Update:

I updated the Wish binary aka MacOS/Pd in the Pd-0.46-0 from Miller's site with the one from my Tk 8.5 Wish.app. Enabling the NSHighResolutionCapable key in the Info.plist isn't working though. In any case, using TK 8.5 gives me nonaliased fonts & removes the extra "Preferences" entry in the File menu.

On Sep 20, 2014, at 11:56 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got it.
>
> As it says in pd/mac/README.txt:
> Note: The "wish-shell.tgz" is an archive of this app I found on my mac:
> System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Resources/Wish Shell.app
> A smarter version of the scripts ought to be able to find that file
> automatically on your system so I wouldn't have to include it here.
> We just need to use the 8.5 version of Wish. I can put together a script to do this if you want.
>
> On Sep 20, 2014, at 1:28 AM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'll give this a look when I have some time.
>>
>> Pd's app structure is copied from "Wish Shell.app" - it might work simply to
>> build it using a different version of wish as a base.  If you want to try that
>> yourself, I think you can just rebuild Pd using the build-macosx script in
>> pd/mac, after having made a new version of a directory "stuff" containing
>> wish-shell.tgz (an archive of whatever wish shell version you want) and the
>> two auxilliary files pd.icns and pd-file.icns
>>
>> cheers
>> Miller
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:45:52AM -0400, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how I can clue Pd-vanilla in on using Tcl 8.5 instead of 8.4? I tried changing the require version in pd-gui.tcl but no dice:
>>>
>>> version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.4, need 8.5
>>>    while executing
>>> "package require Tcl 8.5"
>>>
>>> OSX 10.8 has both 8.4 & 8.5 built in and it seems the default tclsh points to the 8.5 install, but it seems the method Pd uses to find Tcl & Wish.app end up choosing 8.4 instead.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'm asking mainly because with 8.5 you can get "retina" screen enabled fonts which are nice and crisp as opposed to Pd's current blurry fonts. I remember trying this about 6 months ago after I got the machine but ran into the same problem and moved on. Would be nice to provide a patch and some info on how to make it work.
>>>
>>> --------
>>> Dan Wilcox
>>> @danomatika
>>> danomatika.com