[PD] Updated pd-extended

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 04:42:21 CEST 2014

On 09/21/2014 05:35 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Well, time & money are intertwined.
>
> This is why I was talking about a Pd foundation/organization etc that
> could take donations from schools, organizations, poor artists etc and
> roll it into bounties or development support/residences. Pd has a
> pretty active user base but a much much smaller developer base so it
> makes things a bit harder since there is essentially more pressure on
> these smaller numbers of developers who already have limited time as
> it is.
>
> I know a "foundation" is a huge word to throw around but it could
> literally be one place in the world, probably support by some
> university, that hosts people to work on aspects of Pd. We've already
> had people stepping up to help pay for airfare for the last few Pd
> meetups / patching circles etc, so that could be something similar.
>
> Anyway, it's totally *doable* it always come back to who will do it
> and when.

I'd be happy to help with something like this.

However, your description of the user/developer ratio doesn't ring true
to me.  There's actually a surplus of developers and development
energy-- I count two implementations of presets in the last year or two
(in Pd-l2ork and the Chocolate et Coffee lib) which are in addition to
however many already exist on svn and the Pd forum.

Furthermore, we've got a flag to make a Qt window pop up when starting
the most recent git version of Pd-l2ork.  We'll incrementally be adding
the functionality to create Qt canvas windows and draw patches in them
side-by-side with a functioning tcl/tk gui.

-Jonathan