[PD] message box <-> text editing?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 29 10:05:46 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-28 09:30, Jaime E Oliver wrote:

>>> I can't remember when that disappeared - years ago.
>>
>> i think it was lost during the gui-rewrite. (the argument being,
>> that this feature was mainly useful for Copy-Paste which - snce
>> the rewrite - works within msg-boxes)
>
> not really… you could open edit and close and you could do arrows
> up and down which you cannot do in message boxes. no need to copy
> in and out of pd which is more convenient.

i was mainly referring to the point made then.
it was not me who brought up this argument against the text-editor,
nor was i ever opposed to having/keeping the text editor.

iirc, back [1] then nobody made a convincing argument in favour of the
editor (at least an argument that convinced those who wanted to remove
it).
and it took 5 years to raise the issue again, so it probably was not
*that* important :-)

> miller's suggestion of up&down keys working in msg boxes would
> solve it.

oh, yes.
editing text within Pd should give you the feeling of a "real" editor.
iirc, there are more issues than just up/down keys (but since it's not
really hard to work even with this nuisances, i tend to quickly forget
them; that doesn't mean that they are no nuisances and shan't be fixed).

ideally no code would need to be added to Pd(-core) to "emulate" such
an editor (instead i'd love to have some real standard editor widget used)

fgamsdr
IOhannes

[1] http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2009-09/072525.html