[PD] Updated Pd-Extended

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 02:43:45 CEST 2014

On 09/29/2014 06:10 PM, Seb Shader via Pd-list wrote:
> Hello again list,
>
> What do y'all think of the idea of releasing Pd-extended both as a
> "core" pd with no libraries added except maybe the libdir and hex
> loaders and as a version with multiple libraries (2 release stages)?
> Perhaps it's been discussed. the thing I enjoy about Extended is the
> features it adds to pd-vanilla, and this way people can just keep the
> same libraries installed in the same places and switch between vanilla
> and extended easier. In my experience I never need/want to use most of
> the arbitrary libraries included and/or loaded on startup and could
> easily download and install the ones I do want. I also see the
> appeal/logic of using a standardized set of libs though.
>
> seems like a reasonable way to develop it too... everyone focusing on
> the core and then working on their own libs for a bundled release.
>
> Also about import/saving libraries to load on startup: wouldn't it
> make more sense if either the list were editable or there were no
> list? Strange that users get this arbitrary list to load on startup,
> (not even all the libs included in PdX) without being able to edit it,
> a set of libs that they never have to [import], but then they're
> expected to [import] everything else unless they manually edit the
> preferences file (quite confusing for most users)?

Arbitrary or not, the users who learned Pd by using Pd-extended
exclusively assumed that these default loaded classes were the
"standard" libs that were available in Pd.  So you have an enormous
number of patches and abstractions out there which do not use [import]
or [declare] to load libs (nor do they prefix the objects with the
libdir like [zexy/time] or [hcs/canvas_name].)

If you throw those default loaded libs down the memory hole, you end up
making all kinds of work for the user who wants to use an arbitrary
patch or abstraction-- maybe one from Pd forum, the mailing list, an
individual's website, a tutorial, or somewhere else.  That user very
likely doesn't care about the "right" way to load libs, or more sensible
default behavior in the next release of Pd-extended.  They just want a
patch or abstraction to load without broken objects.

On the other hand-- I'm pretty sure you can edit the list, either in the
preferences file (named something like .pdsettings on a Linux distro) or
in the path and startup dialogs.

-Jonathan