[PD] gpointer struct

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 17:35:50 CEST 2014

Hi Miller,I'm experimenting with a gpointer revision by changing the "struct _scalar *gp_scalar" to "struct _gobj *gp_gobj".  This allows me to use gpointers in my introspection classes to refer to any Pd object that has a gobj header.  The benefits are that it's a single atom as opposed to a canvas name/level + index number, and it's noticeably faster when the user is querying lots and lots of objects.
Because gpointer_check code is already used in all the objects in g_traversal.c, it's easy to just add a check to make sure the pointer points to a t_scalar class.  That way all the current classes dealing with pointers work exactly as they do currently.  (Other than [pointer] which needs to accept non-scalar pointers, too.)

It works fine so far, but do you see any "gotchas" with this approach?
-Jonathan