[PD] How -d <n> command line option work

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Oct 10 09:14:46 CEST 2014

On 10/09/2014 06:03 PM, Antoine Villeret wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering what the command line option '-d <n>' does.
> I can see some print in terminal when running pd with '-d 1' or '-d 3' but
> why '-d 2' doesn't do anything.
> What's the number really means ?

the "-d" is really there to debug the pd<->gui communication, as it
allows you to monitor the messages sent from one process to the other.

the actual number is an ORed accumulation of (two) flags that specify
which direction you want to get printed to stderr:

PD2GUI=0x01 // 1
GUI2PD=0x10 // 2

so
$ pd -d 3
indicates that you want see PD2GUI|GUI2PD communication (that is: see
all communication that is going on between the two processes)

with either 2 or 3 you should get *lots* of printout if you open a patch
and move the mouse over it.

gfrds
IOhannes