[PD] "list foreach"?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 18:39:08 CEST 2014

Unfortunately there's no easy step for the help patch documentation.  I'm the documentation guy, and even I left it out of my 10min estimate.

Miller has replied saying he's 100% busy.

As a process, what do you do during the 11 months out of the year that he isn't working on Pd?

So let's recap: you've spent 30mins+ on a patch that he most likely will not accept, for reasons he hasn't stated.  Do you see now why this thread is full of "+1" and "it'd be great if" rather than actual development by capable developers?

If we're going to be developing within a whim-based environment, I'd much rather aim my efforts at the version where the busy gatekeeper tends to say "gee thanks".

Still, do work on a "Tidy Up" if you have excess dev energy.  It would be great to have anything better in Vanilla.  If it's better than what's currently in Pd-l2ork I'll push it there, too.

-Jonathan

On Friday, October 10, 2014 3:53 AM, Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:

On 10/10/14 15:31, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> Here is one:
> 1) Don't check the type of the atoms.  Just output inside the loop using
> outlet_list  That way you don't have to care if there happen to be other
> types of atoms (like gpointers, blobs, etc.)

Good tip, thanks! I took my cue from other Pd objects like "pack" and
"spigot" here and I thought this was closest to what Miller might want.
I may well be wrong though! I guess I'll find out if my trivial patch is
ever looked at.

> To complete it in 10 mins:
> 1) git diff filename.pd > whatever.patch

I use the method suggested on puredata.info which is `git format-patch
HEAD^` and captures all of the changes I have made, but same thing
basically.

Note that a git format-patch also includes git meta information meaning
when Miller merges it it goes in as if it was a commit to his branch
made by you.

You didn't have the step in here for updating the help patch.

> 2) submitting patch to tracker == emailing Miller and list (if not then
> you must have left something out of your general outline of free
> software dev process)

This is part of my point. In the past when I have just submitted a patch
to the tracker it often doesn't get noticed. Hans gave me a tip that if
I email Miller directly with the patch and ask his opinion etc. I am
much more likely to get it looked at. This turned out to be true, which
is why I include that step separately in what I wrote.

Puredata.info seems to be down right now but once it is back up I will
add my preaching points to whatever wiki they best belong in.

Cheers,

Chris.

--
http://mccormick.cx/